Your biggest running goals | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GoRunaMuck » Runners
yanah
yanah Jul 23 '18

When it comes to running, I always have a lot of goals. Some are quite big, while others are a stepping stone toward what I believe are the bigger running goals.

My biggest running goals of all are to run a sub 3 hour marathon, complete the 6 marathon majors, complete a run on the 7 continents, and a sub 40 min 10k. These are quite crazy, but I feel that with a bit of dedication, they could be possible. I mean if I don't try, then I will never know.

What are your biggest running goals or running bucket list items?

Share:
Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 24 '18
My biggest running goals are milestone markers for me. . .I started with 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, and Spartan TriFecta.

Now the list is (in order):
1.Complete a Marathon2.Complete a Spartan Ultra-Beast3.Complete a 50K Ultra-Marathon (31 miles)4.Complete a 100K Ultra-Marathon (62 miles)5.Complete a 100 mile Ultra-Marathon

yanah
yanah Jul 26 '18

Spartan_Jbob that's amazing. I really like how you are completing all your running goals in a very logical sequence. I've met a lot of people who said they wanted to run a marathon after training for their first 5k. It's doable if they put in the work, but there is a higher risk of injury if people jump distances.

I think after you complete the 100 mile ultra-marathon, you will get the desire to do a 24 hour run and a 48 hour run and maybe even try to get into the Badwater 135. You are doing awesome! Keep it up and you will be running over 100 miles in a race.

Quote from Spartan_Jbob My biggest running goals are milestone markers for me. . .I started with 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, and Spartan TriFecta.

Now the list is (in order):
1.Complete a Marathon2.Complete a Spartan Ultra-Beast3.Complete a 50K Ultra-Marathon (31 miles)4.Complete a 100K Ultra-Marathon (62 miles)5.Complete a 100 mile Ultra-Marathon

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 27 '18
yanah

Thanks for the kind words!  I think it would be amazing to be able to do a 24hr run. . .I think about these 24 hour obstacle course endurance races to see how many laps you can get on a 5-6 mile course in 24 hours and think 'that would be awesome to be able to take part in'.  But I also know that I've got a ways to go before being at that level.  It's good to have a lofty 'big picture' goal, but I never want to get so obsessed by it that I forget to enjoy where I am currently at.  I realize that even though I'm in my early 40's right now I need to view running as a LONG TERM thing that needs to be built over time.  I think that once I complete my first Marathon I'll want to complete a few more before feeling like I can start to stretch out for the next goal.  But eventually I hope to get to the end of my 'check list' and have to say "Now what?"  There are PLENTY of 100+ and 200+ trail runs that look like a blast!  Maybe one day I'll be able to say that they truly ARE a blast, because I'll have the experience to prove it.

yanah
yanah Jul 27 '18

Spartan_Jbob

You have a great attitude towards your running goals. It's true that if you approach running more sensibly, you will be able to enjoy it more for a longer perior of time. I know people who started running at almost every ago and I think that the key to longevity as a runner is to not overdo it at first. As we get older, we can't afford to get injured as much or else it will take a while to reocver. If we overdo it, then we can really suffer. Unfortunately, not everyone I know has the same attitude as you and they want it all and they want it now. I'm excitde to follow your progress.

Quote from Spartan_Jbob yanah

Thanks for the kind words!  I think it would be amazing to be able to do a 24hr run. . .I think about these 24 hour obstacle course endurance races to see how many laps you can get on a 5-6 mile course in 24 hours and think 'that would be awesome to be able to take part in'.  But I also know that I've got a ways to go before being at that level.  It's good to have a lofty 'big picture' goal, but I never want to get so obsessed by it that I forget to enjoy where I am currently at.  I realize that even though I'm in my early 40's right now I need to view running as a LONG TERM thing that needs to be built over time.  I think that once I complete my first Marathon I'll want to complete a few more before feeling like I can start to stretch out for the next goal.  But eventually I hope to get to the end of my 'check list' and have to say "Now what?"  There are PLENTY of 100+ and 200+ trail runs that look like a blast!  Maybe one day I'll be able to say that they truly ARE a blast, because I'll have the experience to prove it.