Getting Free Entries into Races | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GoRunaMuck » Runners
yanah
yanah Jul 23

How many of you have ever got free race entries? What did you do to earn those race entries and how did you go about doing that?

I've been lucky to get to run a few races for free, which I think is amazing, because racing as often as I would like to be racing can get very expensive. Some people even joke and say that I work so that I could pay for race entries...HAHA.

So, here are some ways that I've got free race entries:

1. Knew the race director and they were my friend. They knew I like to run, so they gave me a free entry.

2. Volunteered at a race that was previously organized by the same organization that's putting on the next one. They sometimes like to reward volunteers by giving them free entries into the next race.

3. Did race reports and blog previews of the race. I do a lot of race recaps on my blog, so the race directors see value in me writing about their race on the blog, knowing that I will share the report with other runner friends of mine.

4. Promoted the race on social media as an "ambassador". You don't have to have a lot of followers, but you have to show true passion for the run and the event itself.

5. Pace bunny. I still got to be part of the event and it was super rewarding to be able to help others achieve their goals.

6. Worked promotional gigs for one of the race sponsors. They often give sponsors discretionary race entries and the sponsors sometimes gave them to me. :)

7. Elite entry...I contacted the elite athlete coordinator, and although my time was a bit too slow for elite, they didn't meet their elite athlete quota, so they had extras and I was "close enough".

Share:
Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 24
Nice!  I've gotten a few free entries into Spartan Races. . .nothing other than using their own advertised methods of how to get free entries, but here they are!

1.Refer 3 friends to sign up for a Spartan Race using your email as a referral code thru a link provided by Spartan (after you sign up for the event yourself.

2.Volunteer to work at a Spartan Race.

In both cases I got a voucher code for a free Spartan Race to use for a future event.  I've worked 3 Spartan Races so far and am scheduled for a couple more this year.  I love helping out on the course since I get to encourage others who are running.  It's fun for me and it helps out with the cost of my race season!  :) 

yanah
yanah Jul 26

That's awesome. I was thinking of doing a Spartan Race and maybe to get a free entry volunteering at one would be a good way to go. I didn't even know that Spartan offered a free entry to people for volunteering. If I did a Spartan Race, I'd definitely be doing a lot of burpees!!

How many Spartan Races do you typically do in a year? When you volunteer at a Spartan Race, what kinds of things are you expected to do? Cheer for people as they try to make it through each obstacle?

Quote from Spartan_Jbob Nice!  I've gotten a few free entries into Spartan Races. . .nothing other than using their own advertised methods of how to get free entries, but here they are!

1.Refer 3 friends to sign up for a Spartan Race using your email as a referral code thru a link provided by Spartan (after you sign up for the event yourself.

2.Volunteer to work at a Spartan Race.

In both cases I got a voucher code for a free Spartan Race to use for a future event.  I've worked 3 Spartan Races so far and am scheduled for a couple more this year.  I love helping out on the course since I get to encourage others who are running.  It's fun for me and it helps out with the cost of my race season!  :) 

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 27
yanah

I have only been doing Spartan Racing since 2016 so I don't have a 'typical' number I do per year yet!  :)  My first one was December of 2016 and was the last Sprint event they did that calendar year.  Then in 2017 I did 5 total (3 Sprints, 1 Super, and 1 Beast).  Now in 2018 I've done 4 so far (2 Sprints, 1 Super, and 1 Beast) and I have 5 more on my schedule (1 Sprint, 2 Supers, and 2 Beasts) for a total of 9 this year!  I think 9 in a year is probably going to be my HIGH mark and realistically 6 should be more of a typical number to shoot for!

When you volunteer for a Spartan you actually sign up for what you are going to volunteer for!  You can sign up to volunteer for 'Course' where you actually work at one of the obstacles, encouraging runners and instructing them on what they are supposed to do in order to complete the obstacle. . .you also watch to see that racers who do not complete the obstacle head to the Burpee Zone!  You could also man one of the water-aid stations on the course.  There are also lots of 'Festival' positions you can help with. . .like helping with Registration, Merch Sales, Festival Challenges (like who can climb the rope the most times in 5 minutes, or who can do the most pull-ups in 1 minute).  There's plenty of things to help with, but you have to sign up for your shift ahead of time and they fill up rather quickly!  Definately worth doing in my opinion. . .so far I've volunteered at 3 events and have 2 more that I'm hoping to get a shift at this year!
Quote from yanah

That's awesome. I was thinking of doing a Spartan Race and maybe to get a free entry volunteering at one would be a good way to go. I didn't even know that Spartan offered a free entry to people for volunteering. If I did a Spartan Race, I'd definitely be doing a lot of burpees!!

How many Spartan Races do you typically do in a year? When you volunteer at a Spartan Race, what kinds of things are you expected to do? Cheer for people as they try to make it through each obstacle?

yanah
yanah Jul 27

Spartan_Jbob

That sounds like you really enjoy it. I think the reason it fils up so quickly is because there are a lot of people who are looking to do these races and they all know that the incentive is a free race entry. I've noticed that over the past 6 years or so, obstacle races such as Spartan Race and Tough Mudder have significantly grown in popularity, probably even more so than road races.

Do you recommend volunteering at a Spartan Race before signing up for the actual event? Does volunteering help you perform better at the nex race? Do people have to attempt an obstacle before you send them to the burpee area or can they observe the obstacle and if they don't think they can do it, they go to the burpee area voluntarily?

Quote from Spartan_Jbob yanah

I have only been doing Spartan Racing since 2016 so I don't have a 'typical' number I do per year yet!  :)  My first one was December of 2016 and was the last Sprint event they did that calendar year.  Then in 2017 I did 5 total (3 Sprints, 1 Super, and 1 Beast).  Now in 2018 I've done 4 so far (2 Sprints, 1 Super, and 1 Beast) and I have 5 more on my schedule (1 Sprint, 2 Supers, and 2 Beasts) for a total of 9 this year!  I think 9 in a year is probably going to be my HIGH mark and realistically 6 should be more of a typical number to shoot for!

When you volunteer for a Spartan you actually sign up for what you are going to volunteer for!  You can sign up to volunteer for 'Course' where you actually work at one of the obstacles, encouraging runners and instructing them on what they are supposed to do in order to complete the obstacle. . .you also watch to see that racers who do not complete the obstacle head to the Burpee Zone!  You could also man one of the water-aid stations on the course.  There are also lots of 'Festival' positions you can help with. . .like helping with Registration, Merch Sales, Festival Challenges (like who can climb the rope the most times in 5 minutes, or who can do the most pull-ups in 1 minute).  There's plenty of things to help with, but you have to sign up for your shift ahead of time and they fill up rather quickly!  Definately worth doing in my opinion. . .so far I've volunteered at 3 events and have 2 more that I'm hoping to get a shift at this year!
Quote from yanah

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 27
yanah

Spartan is really good about not MAKING ANYONE do an obstacle that they do not want to. . .you are MORE THAN FREE to simply observe and obstacle and then go to the burpee area if you don't want to attempt it.  However, I would encourage you to at least try each and every one. . .I bet you'd surprise yourself with what you could actually do!  Nothing is so bad as to be UN-doable. . .and most you can get help with if you are in the OPEN heat and not the COMPETITIVE heat.  I would encourage you to do a few OPEN heats first in order to get the feel for what a Spartan course is and since you can help each other out without penalty!  It's a great learning experience and a great community to join!  Volunteering is a great way to see what Spartan is all about, but not necessary to do before jumping in and trying!  Maybe find a few friends to join you in an OPEN heat and just have fun trying it together!

yanah
yanah Jul 29

Thank you Spartan_Jbob!

I think that if I sign up for one, I'd probably want to do the noncompetitive one first. How many burpees do you have to do? I used to do 100 burpees in under 9 minutes and that was one of the tests I used to have for myself. If you are in the competitive heat, can you still go to the burpee area if you know that you can do burpees faster than you would do the obstacle? I know some people might think it's cheating...LOL

Quote from Spartan_Jbob yanah

Spartan is really good about not MAKING ANYONE do an obstacle that they do not want to. . .you are MORE THAN FREE to simply observe and obstacle and then go to the burpee area if you don't want to attempt it.  However, I would encourage you to at least try each and every one. . .I bet you'd surprise yourself with what you could actually do!  Nothing is so bad as to be UN-doable. . .and most you can get help with if you are in the OPEN heat and not the COMPETITIVE heat.  I would encourage you to do a few OPEN heats first in order to get the feel for what a Spartan course is and since you can help each other out without penalty!  It's a great learning experience and a great community to join!  Volunteering is a great way to see what Spartan is all about, but not necessary to do before jumping in and trying!  Maybe find a few friends to join you in an OPEN heat and just have fun trying it together!

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 30
You can absolutely do the burpee's instead of the obstacle in the competitive heat!  Each failed / skipped obstacle is a 30 burpee penalty.  Not cheating at all, just very few people would pick the burpee over the obstacle!  :)

100 in 9 minutes?  Wow!  That's great!  I've never tried for that but I've done something I call 50 in 5. . .the actual challenge is supposed to be 100 in 10 but I'll eventually work up to it. . .what it is, is you start a stop watch and when it hits 1 minute you start doing 10 burpees. . .each time it hits the next minute mark you owe another 10 burpees, essentially making you do 50 burpees in 5 minutes (not counting the 1 minute at the start. . .it's just easier for me if I start when the stop watch says 1 minute even).  The quicker you finish your 10 burpees each time the longer rest period you get before the next set starts!  So I don't know that I could get 100 in under 9 minutes, but it would be cool if I could!  :)

yanah
yanah Jul 30

Spartan_Jbob,

When I was a personal trainer, I got several of my clients to do 100 burpees in under 9 minutes. I'd also give them a $20 cash back if they end up beating me any time that I choose to do that burpee time. A few of the guys actually have beaten me and got sub 8 minutes. They were beasts though (didn't start out that way). It's definitely not something that you want to be trying too often though, because it's very taxing on the body. 100 burpees in 9 minutes feels just as difficule as a 30 minute run at 8.5 miles an hour.

30 burpees is not that bad. Are there people actually counting? I think what I would do is calculate how long it would take me to go through the obstacle vs how long it would take to do the burpees and then determine which to pick and be very strategic. LOL

Quote from Spartan_Jbob You can absolutely do the burpee's instead of the obstacle in the competitive heat!  Each failed / skipped obstacle is a 30 burpee penalty.  Not cheating at all, just very few people would pick the burpee over the obstacle!  :)

100 in 9 minutes?  Wow!  That's great!  I've never tried for that but I've done something I call 50 in 5. . .the actual challenge is supposed to be 100 in 10 but I'll eventually work up to it. . .what it is, is you start a stop watch and when it hits 1 minute you start doing 10 burpees. . .each time it hits the next minute mark you owe another 10 burpees, essentially making you do 50 burpees in 5 minutes (not counting the 1 minute at the start. . .it's just easier for me if I start when the stop watch says 1 minute even).  The quicker you finish your 10 burpees each time the longer rest period you get before the next set starts!  So I don't know that I could get 100 in under 9 minutes, but it would be cool if I could!  :)

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 30
yanah,

I really hope you start entering Spartan Races and begin competing in the Elite Woman's Heats!  I'd love to see how you would stack up.  :)  Just hearing the words '30 burpees is not that bad' sounds like a claim you have to back up.  :)  And while you are correct that 30 burpees may NOT be that bad. . .when you are coming off the tail end of a 12 mile mountain trail run and have already done 20+ obstacles and heavy carries (sand bags and buckets of rocks), those 30 burpees aren't quite as easy as if you did them at the start of the event!

Let me know if you sign up for an event!  I don't question your abilities, but I'd love to know how you fare just the same!  :)  In all honesty, it would be fun if you entered into the Elite Competition and started getting podium finishes!  It would be fun to be able to say 'I talk with her!'  :)