Coffee. . .Pros and Cons? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GoRunaMuck » Runners
Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jun 26
I keep hearing the topic of Coffee come up in runners circles. . .it seems that there is a camp that thinks Coffee should be avoided if you are training for a run since it can act as a diarrhetic (dehydrate you) AND there is of course a camp that says there are benefits to be gained from having a cup of Coffee before an event.  AND why am I capitalizing Coffee?  (just noticed that!)

Personally, I used to drink a LOT of coffee. . .a by-product of working long shifts with little sleep I'm sure. . .but I've made a conscious effort to cut back to only 1 or 2 cups a day on average. . .SOMETIMES 3, but that's more rare than anything.  I also make sure to drink a lot more water than I used to.

I used to be firmly in the camp that coffee was bad for you if you were trying to train for endurance events like running since you needed to stay hydrated. . .but recently I've been coming around to the 'coffee could be beneficial' camp.  MODERATION is the key here. . .I've read that 1 cup of coffee about an hour before your event helps stimulate the body to be more alert and reactive. . .for me personally it's more of a comfort thing, and a cup the night before helps calm my nerves and helps me wake up the next morning feeling ready to go.

I'm curious to hear from the rest of the community here. . .what do you think?  Does coffee help or hinder your training?

Share:
SirDirk Original
SirDirk Jun 26
I have wondered about that also and I tried to do some homework on that and what I found is mostly good.  the effects of caffeine lasts for hours and will give you increase in performance, endurance and often the much needed kick in the butt to get out there and start running!  

The only warning I found was if you consume too much caffeine it can increase the risk of a cardiac event for long distance runs...  Ironically a study showed that 2/3 of Olympic athletes consume caffeine before their event.  

It kind of feeds back in that that topic of being a morning runner.  If you get up early and run in the morning coffee is likely a good normal way to start it off but if you a night owl you might have trouble sleeping at night.

johnnyquick
johnnyquick Jul 15
I really like coffe, but I have read too about coffee rising cortisol level, which isnt good for muscles.
So I dont drink in the mornings near of my running or work out time.
I can drink 1 or 2 cups in the evening, and I prefer it in days where I dont lift. I also think that have some good benefits, but I drink it more for flavor and pleasure.
yanah
yanah Jul 27

I LOVE coffee so much. It's not even the caffeine that I like about coffee. For me, it's the taste and in the winter, I really like having a warm drink in my hand. There is something comforting about coffee. I get together with friends, we have coffee. I take a break at work-I get a coffee. I started drinking coffee when I was 11, when I came to my parents' work to do my homework. I tried it and ever since then,  I was absolutely hooked! By the time I got to first year of university, I was drinking 6 cups of coffee a day. University students are known for not enough sleep! LOL.

Pros of coffee:

Taste, wakes you up a bit (is a stimulant)

Cons of coffee:

Can contribte to dehydration, can overstimulate you, can cause adrenal fatigue (so if you drink way too much coffee like I used to, you will most likely end up super tired during the day because the caffeine loses effectiveness with overuse).

SirDirk Original
SirDirk Aug 21
Topic was moved from Nutrition & Diet.