Best recovery drink and food after a run | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » GoRunaMuck » Runners
yanah
yanah Jul 27

I find that I really don't want to eat (or drink) anything right away after a long race, like a marathon.

Back in 2012, I did my first marathon and I made the mistake of guzzling a chocolate milk right after finishing. They were giving out chocolate milk to go at the finish line and although it went down quickly, it came right back up about 15 minutes later. It really made my stomach hurt too, even though before drinking that chocolate milk, I did not have any issues. I think it's a mild lactose sensitivity. What's interesting about that is that I'm ok with dairy products on days when I don't exercise. Ever since then, I only drink water and protein drinks which don't have lactose in them after a run and it seems to work well.

Things that I like to eat after a race:

Bananas

Granola Bars

Pizza

Things that I like to drink after a race:

Gatorade

Powerade

Protein (as long as there is no lactose)

Water

What about you? What works best for you for eating after a big race?

Share:
Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 28

Funny to hear about your Chocolate Milk mistake!  I have a running friend who made that exact same mistake. . .I learned from him and have never taken the TruMoo Chocolate Milk that is offered after most of the Half Marathons I've done!

Clif Bars

Granola Bars

Bananas

IN & OUT Hamburger, or Red Robin (about 1 hour after the event)

Gatorade

FitAid

Water

Coffee (if it's an event on a cold day. . .if I'm spent and it's cold then I start to shiver pretty bad and Coffee helps)

yanah
yanah Jul 29

WOW! I'm really glad to hear that the chocolate milk issue wasn't just me. For a while there, I thought maybe I have a lactose intolerance, but then I'm fine with lactose all other times that I've been having milk, yogurt, and other dairy.

Bananas are awesome before and after. Although after a race I find myself gravitating towards the junk food as well as foods that have a lot of carbs. I remember one time after a half marathon, I downed about 8 big chocolate chip cookies! After that, I was still hungry and went home to have pizza.

What is FitAid? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Quote from Spartan_Jbob

Funny to hear about your Chocolate Milk mistake!  I have a running friend who made that exact same mistake. . .I learned from him and have never taken the TruMoo Chocolate Milk that is offered after most of the Half Marathons I've done!

Clif Bars

Granola Bars

Bananas

IN & OUT Hamburger, or Red Robin (about 1 hour after the event)

Gatorade

FitAid

Water

Coffee (if it's an event on a cold day. . .if I'm spent and it's cold then I start to shiver pretty bad and Coffee helps)

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 30
FitAid is a carbonated recovery drink. . .couldn't tell you much other than that!  They hand it out at the end of a lot of the Spartan Races that I've done and I've become a fan of it. . .not so much that I've bought it on my own but I do look forward to it at the end of any Spartan Race!
yanah
yanah Jul 30

Interesting. I have never heard of FitAid and I'm not even sure they sell it in Canada.

Is this the stuff? https://www.lifeaidbevco.com/

If that is so, I will have to take a look for it when I go grocery shopping next to see if they sell it where I live. It would be interesting to try it to see how it tastes compared to Muscle MLK. Have you ever tried Muscle MLK? I used to work for them and drink a lot of their stuff, it was good and didn't bother my stomach after racing/hard running. I'm always open to trying new nutrition products.

Average_Jbob Original
Average_Jbob Jul 30
YES!  That's the stuff!  I didn't even know that they made other beverages!  Just shows how much I am paying attention after a Spartan Race!  I guess I just drink what they give me and not question it!  :)  It actually says on that link you included "official sponsors of crossfit and spartan race"

I think I just ran out of Muscle Milk. . .(to use your trick) Is this the stuff?

Muscle Milk

I normally use Orgain Organic Protein but had ran out of the stuff (I buy them at Race Expos since they sell at a good

discount) so I got the Muscle Milk at a local store to fill the gap until the next Expo when I could re-stock on Orgain.

I liked it ok, it was just a lot more expensive than what I normally get the Orgain for!  If the price was equal I would probably get Muscle Milk more often for variety.

SirDirk Original
SirDirk Aug 21
Topic was moved from Nutrition & Diet.